ISU Dining is committed to offering food options that meet the needs of students on special / restricted diets. Reasonable accommodations are available to meet the needs of eligible students.
Food Allergy Notice: Please feel free to speak with our staff if you have questions regarding food allergens (such as allergies or intolerance to dairy, egg, fish, shellfish, wheat/gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, soy). Prepared foods in our dining facilities may not be allergen free, even if they are made initially with products that don’t contain the allergen.
Medical Accommodations - Special Diet Kitchen
While many students can self-manage their food allergies and intolerances by using the resources we have available, our Special Diet Kitchen provides dietary accommodations to students with medically-indicated special diets that are difficult to self manage. It is the student/guardian responsbility to initiate a dietary accommodation request so we can help you. The student is required to follow the steps below and meet with the ISU Dining Dietitian to complete the request.
To connect with ISU Dining and get registered to eat in the Special Diet Kitchen, follow the steps below:
- Step #1: Complete the Housing and Dining Accommodation Request Form and Risk Waiver. Submit these two forms to the ISU Dining Staff Dietitian via email or mail. Nicole Wright can be reached at email@example.com.
- Step #2: Contact Student Disability Resources (SDR) by phone or via email regarding your request. They will ask you to provide documentation from a qualified medical provider to assist in determining how to proceed with your dietary accommodation request.
- Step #3: SDR staff will review the documentation provided by your medical provider, and they will be in contact with ISU Dining and/or Department of Residence as soon as appropriate. We will be in touch to discuss "next steps" within two weeks of the receipt of your documentation.
If you are requesting release from the residence hall meal plan requirement, you should be aware that dietary restrictions do not always constitute a valid reason for cancelling your meal plan contract. These requests will only be considered if ISU Dining is unable to accommodate your needs as described in the above Medical Accommodations section.
if you still wish to request release from the meal plan requirement, you may e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, ISU ID# and the reason for your request in your e-mail. Please be aware that retroactive requests will not be considered.
Vegan / Vegetarian Menus
Online menus are labeled with vegan and vegetarian symbols to help students easily find those items. Many locations offer create-your-own menu items such as deli sandwichs and salad bars that can also be used by vegan and vegetarian students. Utilize the online menus as well as signage in locations and on products to help you find the foods you need. Though all locations can accommoate vegan and vegetarian students, a specific vegan/vegetarian station called "Zest" is available in Friley Windows dining center.
If you need help finding items to eat while you are in a dining location, please ask to speak with a manager.
You can also use Net Nutrition and/or our online menus to help you find items.
ISU Dining makes a concerted effort to purchase and prepare items that are suitable for a variety of religious practices.
Students following a kosher diet are encouraged to eat in Union Drive Marketplace. In addition to the many kosher items regularly available, kosher meats and cheeses are available upon request.
Additionally, ISU Dining also makes concessions for practicing Muslims during Ramadan.
- Breakfast: Visit the Union Drive Marketplace the prior evening and select from variety of prepared to-go breakfast items that you can eat before sunrise the next morning.
- Dinner: Eat a late dinner after sunset! View our hours for open locarions.
Note: Because there is no meal plan requirement during the summer, students who make the choice to purchase Meal Blocks or Dining Dollar$ should do so with their own religious practices in mind. Refunds will not be given for meals not eaten due to Ramadan. Also, any unused Meal Block meals remaining at the end of summer will roll over for use during the fall semester, so there is no monetary loss due to Ramadan observance.
ISU Dining Staff Dietitian: Nicole Wright - email: email@example.com, Mailing address: Nicole Wright, 1215 Friley Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011; Phone: 515.294.3812.
Student Disability Resources: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 515.294.7220.
We look forwarding to creating a safe and enjoyable dining experience with you!